2/22/2014

Standard

Raven showed up this morning with coffee, ah. It’s a beautiful day, we’ll work outside. Raven asked how to keep the stencil straight, we measured the width of the pattern, put two marks in the middle and drew a line up the middle of the pattern. She measured the slat to center and lined it up, it all works. She penciled all the detail patterns in the front, then started gilding it until the sun got too hot.

I started on the coffee bag burlap cover for the gas tanks with the blue tailor’s chalk. I bought some jute at the dollar store, a perfect match. I basted it with huge stitches to get it in place, then sat in the shade behind the vardo and fine stitched the seams by hand using a large needle with a huge eye for easy threading of the large twine.

Getting hungry. I chopped up the frozen O chicken breast for sate, threw it in a bowl of hot water to thaw. Put on a cup of rinsed rice with a cup and a half of water plus a little (the cover has steam holes). Oyster sauce, garlic powder, my home made curry powder not hot and a healthy shake of five spice, add the thawed chicken. Skewer it up on two wet bamboo sticks, cover the broiler with foil and broil on high. I pealed the O cucumber, cut in large slices, halving the big ones, added rice vinegar, water, salt and more five spice. Flipped the chicken, the rice is close turned off to steam done. Washed a couple small sauce bowls and opened a jar of TJ’s Sate peanut sauce, everything’s done. Served in the vardo sitting on the new burgundy cushions, perfect and really tasty. We haven’t had sate in a while, so good.

Dishes then back to work, Raven painted the cabinet door black with another coat and painted the edges of the cabinet doors black as well.

cabdoorblack

I continued sewing the burlap cover by hand with the jute, finishing the corner folds, then cutting the excess away, sewing a largish seam on the wide side then cutting away the excess there. I sewed a fair seam around the edges. Raven casually mentioned elastic would be nice. I went looking for a piece of thin-ish rope to fit the seams, stumbled on a piece of elastic, perfect though not small. A long chunk of bailing wire, folded to thread and wound around the elastic, I got it to fit through the edge seams with some difficulty, but it works.

Raven painted the seat backs with burgundy paint as I threaded the stuff through.

Ravenpainting

I finished the gas tank cover, Raven helped me cinch up the elastics secure with a couple constrictor knots as I pulled the elastic tight. Constrictor knots are good for that, simple twisted X knots that don’t let up. It looks good, the picture also shows the stencil patterns and gilding  Raven did before the sun got too hot.

Burlapcover

I figure a gypsy wagon shouldn’t have propane tanks visible, burlap coffee bags, that’s appropriate. What a fine day for February.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s