A good day today. Yesterday eve I decided to go North to Cloverdale in search of almonds at Ray’s as I remember they sometimes have Meyer lemons this time of year. They did have the lemons, I bought 3 pounds. No bulk almonds yet. I got home and cut them up prepped in the fridge to soak and process today.
This morning, oh man it was cold last night, heater on in the middle of the night. When I finally crawled out of bed watching movies until 10 it was still 34 degrees outside. Laundry in. Heading to town for coffee and almonds, more sugar for the marmalade, powdered sugar for almond paste and frosting. A pound of raw bulk almonds, yeast, sour cream and cream cheese for the danish filling.
Back home, I blanched and shucked the almond skins. Joe called, “Yea, come on out.” I dried the almonds in the already on oven for the heat. It took several times blending and sifting to get the almonds to fine flour in small batches. I set aside some to sliver for topping, two cups for paste. I put on the lemons with two more (four total) cups water to dissolve the matching 3 pounds of sugar using my big dog bowl shaped pan. Stir often.
Joe showed up, I gave him a bag of marbles I bought to use in his wire bending endeavors. He didn’t use them yet, but that trade covered the eggs he bought me I’ll need for coffee cakes. I didn’t make the coffee cakes yet, next week end. Four egg whites and half the 3 cups (1 1/2) powdered sugar called for with a cap full of almond extract made a large batch of almond paste. There is a lot there, in a baggie waiting as the flavor marries.
1 cup almonds blended fine, 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 2 egg whites beaten frothed mixed. That’s the French recipe. I doubled the recipe and cut the sugar in half.
Meanwhile, Joe’s bending wire as I cooked down the marmalade, I got a full dozen small four ounce jars and one more full cup, plus a not sealed small jar for Joe. He already has a sealed cup from last week.
We snacked on Joe’s baguette, cheese, and some bacon I cooked up.
Outside in the sun, I cut up a Nylon bag I picked up at Salvation Army. I sewed it up on the sewing machine to make a sock to cover the bass head as the case I have isn’t long enough.
This one works great, yesterdays attempt was too small. I also managed to modify the bass guitar strap top button to fit the curve of the horn using the lapidary sander and sandpaper.
I picked up a cool teak roll deck card holder at Sally’s and gave that to Joe, he’s jazzed with it.
I slivered the remaining almonds and toasted them in a pan while Joe bent more wire. Ready for the Almond Tea Ring Christmas morning. I’ll make it Saturday, Christmas eve to bake Christmas morning.
Laundry is done and the aprons are also washed ready to smoke a Christmas turkey. I think we’re mostly ready.