Monthly Archives: May 2012
exterior wood complete!
today i purchased primer paint and brushes, excited about starting to paint, but one last touch needed to be done…the final battens along the top ridge of the door’s wall. this meant measuring, cutting and sanding wood, caulking the ridge seals and drilling/screwing the battens in–which pretty much took all the time i had for the day. next week for painting…
It’s a nice door! Needs paint to cover the putty fills, and a bit more putty sands, but dang, nice door. What color are you going to paint it? It’ll be good. Darin suggested a shim to bring the upper door up a bit, attached to the lower door hinge side. We can try that, though it may change the fit, experiment with it. Once you finish the arch the exterior will be done, except for gas and water tank hardware. Remind me, the gas line needs to be sealed with Teflon tape, we need a shorter nipple fitting.and a tee for the water heater plus additional lines to fit it . Part of the interior, next. We’ll need to finish the out side lights to finish the electric and mount a small door for the plug on the driver side, covering the cable across below. Thoughts on the water tanks, baking soda may neutralize the smell of Dr Pepper, I’ll get a box. We’ll need some strong straps to hold them up, 120 lbs each. Thinking get some heavier gauge metal stock with a bend and a bolt to release them for cleaning maybe. We’ll see.
5/20/12 Door in
No other plans this weekend. This could be better. I can get the door finished Saturday, caulk the other sides, drill the lock above. Much easier on the bench. I need to chisel the flats for the latches too, also easier on the bench. Get it all ready. Then we can hang it together Sunday morning as I’ll need your help to hang it. Perfect. I’ll leave the latch hardware off until after it’s hung, though may test fit it on the bench. We may need to take it back down for trimming to fit right, don’t know. In which case the chiseling will need redoing, hope it fits the first time, we’ll see. Light trimming on the latch side, better to trim more on the hinge as the latches depend on the hole tolerances. Let’s just hope it fits, should.
5/13/12 Mothers Day
No work on the vardo today other than the window film research, though I did soak the lock in lacquer thinner over night, whew, strong stuff. I put it in a tupperware bowl and sealed that in a baggie outside. I pulled out the outer cone this morning, tried scrubbing it with a plastic brillo sponge, it dissolved the brillo, blue on my fingers. The thinner crinkled the plastic coating enough that I could scrape it off with my nails. I soaked it in vinegar all day, that didn’t work except a small ring around the top that was exposed to air turned a little green. I just suspended it over the vinegar on chopsticks with the stainless cover over it, seems to be working, couple finger prints so I washed it with soap and put it back after another dip. All this is experimental, I have stronger methods available, nitric acid and copper sulfate is supposed to work, I have both here (A to W, as in acid to water (like a to z), never add water to acid as it boils and explodes, not good). Liver of sulfur works too, much darker, but I’d need to order that. Good fun, chemistry. Can always buff it off and try another method.