It’s a hot one here, in the 90s. Not as bad as some days but cooking. Speaking of cooking, I prepared a batch of Bread and Butter pickles I picked up at the farmer’s market this morning. Cukes, onions and red bell peppers soaking in the salt, to be prepared tomorrow morning before the heat.
Wednesday is a potluck at work so I pulled the frozen lasagna sauce down to the fridge to thaw. It’s a loaded vegan sauce for now with mushrooms, eggplant, zucchini, etc., until I add the burger and cheese. I’m soaking some cashews from Trader Joe’s to make a vegan light brewers yeast cheese small batch on the side. Then the big batch with everything beef and four cheeses, provolone, mozzarella, ricotta, and Parmesan. A coworker requested my lasagna, OK.
Meanwhile, I’m working on the second ukulele bass. I put the jumbo frets in the fret board today, leaving two out where the holes have wire pins to keep it in place during glue up.
I also fixed a bracelet for a coworker at the old plant, long over due, but finished.
The UB2 bass is keeping me occupied. I decided to put in a truss rod as I have one and the jig is made. Plus pearl dots, why not.
Pot luck next week, Lasagna sauce veggie ready made in the freezer, I’ll add meat after a small batch. The sauce has it all, eggplant, zucchini, green pepper, carrots, mushrooms, celery, onions, tomato of course, with garden herbs and garlic. Most of it is farmers market veggies, all organic from the people I know. Four cheeses to add, mozzarella, provolone, ricotta, Parmesan. So vegetarian not vegan yet, though perhaps a cashew cheese could make it so. We’ll see.
I worked on UB2 (uke bass 2) a bit this weekend. I made an X brace and glued it up. carved back the soundboard to fit the body form then sanded it flush to the sides.
The X brace was a challenge as it broke one leg, glued back and sanded half oval profile. I cut the legs to length and sanded them to fit to the side angles. Glued in with 2×4 risers and clamps, plus the big heavy weight in the middle. It’s in there, stuck well. I’m not worried about the minor glue over flow as it’s the top and you can’t see it without a mirror.
I stopped at the Goodwill store today. They had a kids guitar for cheap, couldn’t resist. It’s funky, with straight through tuners that won’t hold. The nut is cheap and short. I cut a new nut from the beef bone stock, polished to 600 grit and notched every 9/32 to make an even 6 spaced nut. The high string won’t hold even with tightened screw. I ordered new strings. I think I may need to change the tuners to a set of geared tuners I have for ukes. More of a challenge than expected.
Chicken, yellow wax beans, potatoes, with another pork chop meal the same but with gravy for lunches.
We have classes this week lunch included, so not so many. I like this job.