I met Raven at the Starbuck’s/Safeway for coffee, an O (organic) avocado and a few things she needs for her Sweden trip just a long week away. This will be our last day together for awhile as I am going North to visit old friends next Memorial day weekend. Her friend Samia was supposed to come help but bailed at the last minute.
The farmers market is open again, let’s go just to see the folks. Lots of fava beans and radishes as it’s early spring, I picked up a nice Better Boy tomato plant for the garden with blossoms forming. Off to the ginormous (Raven’s word) Salvation Army to find a back pack for her trip. We found a small pack, a little beat up but with wheels and handle for $5 bucks, it’ll work. I found a nice etched wine glass in the bins for 50 cents. I slowed at the elder trees in bloom so she would notice behind me, they’re supposed to make good potions or fritters.
Home, Raven has a hankering for taco salad, OK, I cooked up the O chicken breast diced, chop half an O onion , cooked half of that, garlic, an O fresh tomato and the avocado for a salsa with salt and cumin spice. Sliced unexpected cheddar on the side with corn chips and O romaine lettuce as a base. Balsamic vinaigrette, excellent. Raven added hot sauce, I like mine cool. To the back yard dining room with a view.
After lunch Raven went back to the seemingly endless task of detailing the vardo in gold paint, I figured 88 patterns for just the corners alone not counting the windows and door.
I took the card stock patterns and galvo for the wheel fenders to work yesterday after hours, cut and bent on the brake tool in the model shop. This thin metal is sharp, cut me a little in the shop. I got out the leather gloves as I need to punch it with my Harbor Freight punch and trim a missed edge with the shears. I had to cut each fender in two pieces overlapped 4″ as the shear only cuts 37″ and I need over 40. I lined up the overlaps and punched them first, then punched the rest of the holes on the passenger (P) side. I used the punch’s depth gauge to keep them even. 29 holes on this side, not enough room to swing a hammer, I’ll need pan head Phillips screws to use the drill as a driver. Raven suggested removing the wheel for more room, good idea. Off to the corner mercantile to see Harry, three packs of 20 for just over $3. And some coconut water at the corner store as it’s getting hot.
I put in the passenger side with difficulty lining up the overlap holes last. I used the awl to align and punch new metal holes to get it secure. I hammered the edges down around it to prevent anyone cuts, I should sand it next too. We’ll need to caulk the inside edge with clear stuff. Next I did the D side, same way but did the overlaps early on, went better.
I used the hammer and a flat screwdriver as a punch to get the metal into place. Replaced the wheels. This looks good with tight seams above, added caulk will complete the job.
Hugs goodbye and safe trips completed the day. I expect it will be awhile before the next post.