6/23/2019

Standard
I’m OK. My boat was sinking last week. She’s been taking on water for a while, but the pump kept it up. Then I watched a houseboat smack her pretty hard while I was paying the rent this first. Later, the pump failed and the water came in much faster. The yard installed a 110 pump, to keep her afloat and called me at work. Louis pulled the electric plug as it was sucking dry, she was half full in an hour when I got there. I bought and installed a new pump. Monday they pulled her out to the hard. I took the afternoon off and power washed the bottom after the yard had already scraped her down. There is some worm damage in a few places and the caulking is shot in a few places fore and aft. It’s actually not that bad. Smith’s clear penetrating epoxy sealer should kill the worms according to the web research.
Yesterday I drove down and removed the rudder as there is a lot of damage near the water line. I’ll need to cut out a small section of the mahogany and replace it with screws and epoxy, easy. I also removed the caulking from the top of the first garboard plank as that was where the most water was flowing. I pulled the caulk and cotton around the bow and stern where it was leaking the most. Rick came by and offered a few tips, he’s good. I brought home the tiller too, for a new coat of varnish. The boat needs a lot of work. Fortunately, Matt the Harbor Master is OK to leave her on the hard for the same cost per month while she gets repaired.
Today, I made a batch of pickles I picked up at the farmers market yesterday on the way. I scored a bundle of tarragon, then some early medium cucumbers and a few carrots. Tarragon, garden thyme, garlic, onion quarter, yellow mustard seed, 50/50 water to white vinegar and two teaspoons salt (plus salt on the cukes last night).  I got three pints of pickles, but added carrots then more onions. Finally, I had a lot of onions left and made a cup jar of that plus a few carrot sticks. It’s a good mix. I also made a choice batch of chicken and veggie with noodles soup.
I’m missing working on my instruments with the boat precedence. I really want to get the electric micro bass built. I have a soprano uke needs glue up. Tom gave me a bare baritone uke needs a lot. Sal at work requested a walnut pickup cover. I have a choice piece of walnut needs cutting for that and several bass fret boards. I have a new wide band saw blade to install for that.
Life’s been interesting. And I really enjoy my day job. Cookies on Friday, ice cream next Friday. Good challenges.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s