3/26/2017

Standard
Fun times, I cooked up a batch of chicken leg quarters with garlic, soy, lemon marmalade and fresh lemon juice, oven roasted with a butternut squash on the side halved and olive oiled to bake.
Meanwhile, Elliot’s Mom sent me her Christmas red cabbage recipe. I acquired everything and made it, onions, oil, red cabbage fine cut, a granny smith apple, apple cider vinegar, sugar, red wine, cloves, (I added allspice), juniper, nutmeg, cinnamon, some chicken stock in a jar and black current jam. It’s an overnight recipe, and tastes wonderful.
As Ana at work recommended Trader Joe’s fresh ravioli near the cheese section, I cooked up a bolognese batch with tomato sauce of dried garlic, oregano and basil, simple but a tasty snack and another lunch saved.
I picked some asparagus out back in the places I know it grows, three big pieces. Back to the store for enough more to make a meal side.
On the uke, I worked a lot on the neck, shaping the heel. I also cut all the curved linings to fit inside the sides to the neck. I sanded down the mahogany back in the surface sander until it’s smooth and about 2 mm. I glued up the front doug fir panel with slats, string and wedges.
This morning I finished up the red cabbage by adding the black current jam, mixing it in while heating. It tastes great. I steamed the asparagus with lemon and salt. I have a fine meal for the lunch gang prepared, lemon marmalade roast chicken, butternut squash, red cabbage and steamed asparagus with fresh lemon juice. Wow, it is good.
A beef stew made, carrots, onions, red potatoes, celery, zucchini, garlic and garden herbs, Plenty More Beef Stew, three buckets and lunch.
More work on the ukulele, I rounded the neck with the draw shave, rasps and sandpaper. It seems comfortable, but still a little flat to secure the fret board. I glued in the bent linings using the frame to hold the shape with clothes pins and a spring clamp.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
I ran out of room on the back and just used the outer frame and some clamps to hold to sides to their shape.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
You can see the lower lining installed. I added a little glue using card stock scrap and clamped the lining down where it was loose.
After that I set up the side jig. The plywood is warped so I clamped it down with a block to hold it up while the clamp brings it back to flat, an error in my first uke. I sanded down the neck joints as I won’t be able to once it’s attached, 320 grit. I’ll wait to glue it up to be sure.
Just for fun, I cooked up a batch of rice, thoroughly rinsed. Rice vinegar, sugar and salt heated to dissolve. I made sushi, a simple carrot sticks, cucumber and smoked salmon with the rice on nori rolled. It turned out great with soy sauce.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
I surface sanded the glued up Doug fir soundboard flat to 2 mm. As I used up Joe’s sides, I surface sanded a nice piece of mahogany from really rough to a fine piece of workable wood. Ready for another side or face, sweet wood. In the background of the ready jig.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
A really productive weekend.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s