2/18/2013

Standard
I didn’t do a lot, but a little got done. I started pulling the service counter out and cutting a piece of Formica. Need more space, got the out back saw horses and fixed the one with a piece of treated 2×4 off the pile, now we have 2 sets. I laid the door on one, the counter on the other, clamped the Formica to the door. This is not going to work, I can’t do this alone. It will wait for next weekend. I’m thinking we do a dry run before spraying the contact cement so we know what to do. I have enough slats collected from saw scraps. I put away the Formica and returned the counter to the vardo.
I clamped the counter down near the door and glued the two small face boards to the frame with clamps. I laid out the hand sink on the saw horses and door, put slats down and fitted them, set aside. Glue time, sprayed the aluminum and plywood down, waited for it to dry to tacky on the green bin.
I found my metal shears, tightened the screw, brought out the roll of galvanized metal and laid it open on the door bench. Went in and brought out the wheel well card stock patterns, laid them out with pen. I tried the shears on the rough edge, not good enough, but OK for a straight cut, mostly. As the two wells fit across on the same sheet, I rough cut it from the roll to take to work and use the big shear in the model shop, tied a wire and put it in the car.
As the two counter sheets were dry enough, I set the slats on the plywood and centered the aluminum to it, tight to the back stove corner. I pulled the slats one by one and dropped the metal into place, nice fit, rubbed it down hard with my hand. I set the screws for the stove back block out enough to mark the aluminum divider plate, held it in place and tapped it with the plastic mallet to mark the hole positions. I punched them deeper with the snap punch, then drilled them, secured the block and fit the back stove shelf. We’ll need another screw or two up front to secure the divider plate.
Down under the sink, there is the main gas shutoff valve. The insulation is exposed, not good. I measured the depth with the slide square ruler, transferred it to card stock. Dug out the paper cutter for a true cut. Fitted and folded it to the right length, transferred it to some thin roof aluminum flashing scrap, cut it on the paper cutter. As the gas pipe runs through, I transferred the size to the sheet and cut it with scissors. The electric is back there too, cut a relief and fitted it. It fits well. I tried the shut off valve , hmm wouldn’t move.
Note, this is important: PUSH the gas shut off valve with your finger. That’s how it works, in an emergency you need to know that. I’ll make a label.
So that’s about it, a good day, a few small things.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s